Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hot and bothered

Updates, updates, updates!!!!

Last time I posted, the big drama was with my roommate cheating on her boyfriend. Normally, when someone I'm around is doing something I don't approve of I continue going about my business unaffected; however, since I was cheated on by my last serious boyfriend (not my wonderful Joe) I'm a little sensitive to the idea of someone around me committing adultery. As such, I created a rather hostile environment around the apartment. The hostility was palpable.

After a few days of this, my roommate mustered the courage to ask me what was wrong. I tried to avoid the whole cheating situation, but really I didn't have much ammunition to go on and she saw right through my attempts to accuse her of random things. She badgered me a bit and I cracked, spilling my anger about having to live in such close quarters with a cheater and a liar.

Sigh...

This is when she told me that she had actually broken up with her boyfriend the same day I had confronted her and the professor's cousin about their inappropriate behavior. She said she didn't say anything to me because she didn't think I cared. Embarassingly enough, I began to cry because I felt so guilty about being hostile; I felt a flood of emotions related to the aforementioned relationship; I felt relief after experiencing several weeks of extreme discomfort with the situation. So, while indeed she is (rather seriously now) dating the professor's cousin, it's was techinally legal and without sin. All in all, I was really happy she confronted me and now things are much calmer and more peacful around here.

The newest drama in my life has to do with this woman who tends the front desk of my gym during the afternoon hours. The gym is very hot because she, the person who sits down and does nothing, believes that even though it's 90+ degrees outside, it's perfectly okay to have the A/C off, the fans off and the windows open so long as the lights are off (??????). I attempted to explain to her that this was not condusive to a productive, vigorous cardio session and that I may die, but she doesn't speak English.

I asked her to turn on the A/C... I was pointing to it and fanning myself with my hands while saying, "Calde," the Italian word for hot. She nodded, said, "Ahh, sii" like she knew what I was talking about and then got up to go to the bathroom. She clearly had not understood. Sooo, I walked over the the A/C remote and turned it on. After she came out of the bathroom I motioned to her that I had turned it on. She got angry at me and said, "Next time, please ask before." Sometimes, I think I live in an alternate universe where I could SWEAR that I'm the only one who experienced what just happened 2 minutes ago. This was one of those times.

At any rate, the gym is consistently at least 85+ degrees, though it is hotter around 1-3. Instead of fighting with this woman, I coordinate my workout time with the evening class as this is the only time the A/Cs are reliably on and it's not as hot out. I'm sure that woman would have them work out with the windows open because it's just soooooooo cool outside.

As a result of all of this, I have turned into that gross gym person whose sweat flies all over the cardio equipment. It isn't bad enough that I accidentally broke a treademill during a hard run last week. No. I also have to be the person who leaves sweat drop stains all over the place. It's just so hot and humid in there that the sweat evaporate neither from my body nor from the floor/equipment/innocent bystanders. I've always seen these people in the gym... I just never thought I'd become one.

Today, I ordered a used camera lens from ebay. I'm getting my first wide angle lens and I'm sssooooo excited!!! I did some research and I found what appears to be a good, amateur lens for a great price. Looking forward to that.

Robin and I are still working out the details for Vietnam and Cambodia, but it's all coming together. Getting all of my visas situated is going to be a huge pain in the butt. My India trip has me a bit concerned because I'm waitlisted as #6 for the train I booked and my number hasn't moved at all since I bought it. I'm going to have to look into another train or a lower class. Yikes.

No comments: