Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'm going home!!! (Eventually)

Good news!!! No, GREAT NEWS!!! I contacted Continental kind of on a whim on Sunday to give securing my airfare one last stab. It worked!!!! I have a flight home that only cost a change fee. I am sssssooooo relieved... I feel like I can live my life again!!!!

You may notice that I posted some pics of Rome. I went on a bus tour around the city on Sunday and saw lots and lots of ruins. Like, lots. And FYI, in case you didn't already know, Circus Maximus is a field of grass. And also, most of the ruins are ruins because the Romans ruined them. They built the Coliseum and then a few years later were like, "Yeah, we don't use this anymore. Let's take the marble and trabartine and build something else." It was a fairly common theme for most ruins. They were recycled.

I've been working a lot on my research -- both the obesity research that was assigned to me by my research mentor here and my practicum research on orthopedic injuries in firefighters. They're both moving along well. I sent an email to the Athletic Training program director and the clinical coordinator about the prospect of receiving a grant through the NATA since getting the data I need costs money that I don't have. I will begin the grant application ASAP. What's the point in going through all the trouble of doing the research if you aren't going to get it published?

Looks like a may write two separate articles on obesity -- one for the International Nursing Review and another for the Italian Journal of Public Health (in Italian). I will aim for the Journal of Athletic Training with my firefirghter study, but I'm afraid it may be better suited for a journal in occupational health/safety. I guess we'll wait and see.

Ugh. Enough about research. So, I've been talking with Robin and we're going to move forward on a trip to Vietnam (Saigon and some dunes a bit North of there) and Cambodia (Phnom Phen, the killing fields and genocide museum). From there I will depart for Phuket to meet Joe. I will have a free week before I meet up with Robin, so I'm debating flying into Mumbai and taking a train to depart out of Kerala... Gotta love budget travel. Additionally, the awesome customer service rep at Continental got me a sweet layover in Hong Kong, so I will have approx. 20 hours to show myself around the city!!!

While being in Rome is tough (considering I'm not a very classy person who's into museums, history or shopping), I'm trying ti make the best of it. The museum a few blocks down from the apartment has a photography exhibit currently on the top floor so I can't wait to check that out. I'm really feeling good about getting published with all of my works and I am super excited to startmy grant application. Wow, I'm such a dork. But I think I'm most excited about discovering more of Asia after this is done.

This summer is shaping up to be one of lifetime. :)

P.S. Even though I'm on my laptop, spell check is still in Italian. Sorry!!!

No comments: