Monday, June 21, 2010

Clear skies ahead

I'm back in the computer lab at La Sapienza this week. I'm trying to avoid my roommate, who has been cheating on her boyfriend with the professor's cousin. After confronting the two of them at the beach a few weeks ago, Joe advised me to create distance between myself and them. While it does bother me that my roommate is amoral, I don't know what kind of agreement she has set up with her boyfriend (if any at all). What bothers me the most is that she actively alienated me by monopolizing the professor's cousin's time. By flirting with him so unabashedly, she clearly captivated him. This self-centered behavior and a complete disregard for others is what really grinds my gears, as Peter Griffen would say.

Anyway, I am still trying to make the best of my time here. I suspect my roommate was away with her boy toy this weekend so I took advantage of having the place to myself. I also took a long walk around the city down to Campo di Fiori to see if I could find a dress for my brother's upcoming wedding and a tie for Joe. No such luck as most stores were closed. I took advantage of the beautiful, blue skies and whipped out the cam. Kind of disappointed that I didn't get more artsy pics. I feel like this batch came out semi-matter-or-factly.

Additionally, I've been plotting my escape... I mean future travels. I booked all kinds of airfare last week. I'll be flying from Rome to Mumbai next month where I will spend about a day and a half. From there I will hop a 24+ hour train to Kochi. While it would be easier to hop a plane, I really want to experience the countryside, see the sights and just generally live life! Upon arrival in Kochi, I plan to book a backwater tour through Kerala, "God's own country". So excited about that!

My tour will end up back in Kochi where I then depart on the looong journey to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam to meet up with Robin. We have to iron out the details, but I believe we will be going to some sand dunes and clothing factories up North. We're then going to hop a bus to Phnom Penh, Cambodia to see the killing fields, the genocide museum and to ride ATVs... Yeah, I know it's a bizarre combination. Finally, I will fly to Phuket to see the love of my life!!!

While things are really hard right now considering the roommate situation and the abundance of culture coupled with my dearth of class, I am really looking forward to my travel plans. Can't wait to get some pics!!

No comments: